Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hair Struggle in Fitness

So I use to have this crazy hair struggle with fitness and working out, right?  A few of the pics below are of me before I decided to leave the gates of HAIR JAIL!  I use to have many days of hair depression simply because my workout was leaving my hair eff'd up!  I have natural hair and a lot of it, so a 1-hour sweat session was like kryptonite to my super thick hair.  I would stay in on Friday and Saturday nights, b/c I didn't have the money nor the energy to put into making myself pretty.  I have to admit, sometimes I would choose my Friday night over workouts.  The result...resentment to the 10th power!  Eventually, I put a stop to it by just cutting it all off.  Now I wear the short wash and go version that you also see below.  This blog mainly applies to black women who share the same struggle.  We've tried everything from wigs to extension sew-ins, and still just can't get it right.  The reality is that it's still a constant struggle.  My present day truth is, sometimes I don't feel like I look AS pretty as I did with my hair, but luckily for me I have a husband who ABSOLUTELY loves it and gives me the confidence to rock it out!  I wanted to share my story for the girl who is going through the same struggle.    My advice is to absolutely, under all circumstances Choose your Health!  Here's a few pointers:
  • Schedule your hair appointments around workouts.  Set your workouts for Mon-Thurs and off days on Friday, Sat & Sun.
  • Wear a sweat band like the "Save your Do"
  • Go natural and chop it off.  Rock a TWA.
  • Wrap and scarf your hair during workouts (never worked for me)
  • Wear braids or twist.




1 comment:

  1. I totally know the feeling Even with natural hair I still struggle with my hair and working out, and the not pretty thoughts. Ultimately health wins over my hair and pretty complex every time!

    ReplyDelete